- 3/4 pound collard greens
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 pound fontina cheese, cut into small cubes
How to Make It
Wash collard greens thoroughly, and cut off stems. Stack leaves; roll up lengthwise. Cut 2 lengthwise slits down leaves; cut crosswise into 1/4" strips, and set aside.
Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add collard greens; sprinkle with water, and cook, covered, 4 to 5 minutes or until greens are tender.
Combine broth and cream in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; stir in grits, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cheese; stir until melted. Stir in cooked collard greens.