Great recipe! Used it as a baseline with a few minor changes: I used a mixture of red, white, and yellow onions and let them caramelize on very low heat for close to 2 hours. I didn't have fontina, so I used an equal amount of a mixture of whatever I could find in the fridge -- a bit of manchego, parmesan, tomme, gruyere, and some sort of soft blue cheese... stilton, maybe? I also par-baked the crusts for 6 minutes before adding the toppings. I cooked one pizza on a pizza stone and one on a cookie sheet. Found that the one on the pizza stone had a MUCH crisper crust, especially after sitting on the still-hot stone for about 10-15 min. Served with a simple romaine salad with radishes and buttermilk dressing... excellent summer meal, but will eat all year round!
Fontina, Caramelized-Onion, and Pancetta Pizza
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 238
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 8.6g
- Carbohydrate: 34.8g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 300mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- Pizza Dough
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 ounces pancetta (Italian-style bacon) or Canadian bacon, chopped
- 8 cups sliced onion (about 3 large)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese, divided
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Prepare the Pizza Dough according to directions.
- While dough is rising the second time, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add pancetta, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add onions, thyme, salt, and white pepper; cook 25 minutes or until onions are browned, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Brush each prepared pizza crust with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; top each with half of onion mixture. Sprinkle half of cheese over each pizza. Bake at 475° for 9 minutes or until crusts are crisp. Cut each pizza into 8 wedges. Garnish with thyme sprigs and sprinkle with black pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fontina, Caramelized-Onion, and Pancetta Pizza Recipe at a Glance