These were so good. I used 1/2 onion powder and 1/2 garlic powder in the rub, my only deviation from the recipe. Truly outstanding.
Foil-Wrapped Baby Back Ribs
Some barbecue purists will shudder at the thought of cooking ribs wrapped in foil, but if you want to make them in about one hour and fifteen minutes, as opposed to the usual three to four hours (or more), this is how.
More From Oxmoor House
Grill: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- REMAINING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 racks baby back ribs, each 2 to 2½ pounds
- 1 cup hickory wood chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- 2. In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients.
- 3. Remove the membrane from the back of each rack of ribs (see photo at bottom right). Cut each rack crosswise in the middle to create two smaller racks.
- 4. Season each half rack evenly with the rub. Using eight 18-by-24-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil, double wrap each half rack in its own packet.
- 5. Brush the cooking grates clean. Place the ribs on the grill over direct medium heat and cook for 1 hour, with the lid closed, occasionally turning the packets over for even cooking, making sure not to pierce the foil.
- 6. Remove the packets from the grill and let rest for about 10 minutes. Carefully open the foil packets, remove the ribs, and discard the rendered fat and foil.
- 7. Drain and add the wood chips directly onto burning coals or to the smoker box of a gas grill, following manufacturer’s instructions. When the wood begins to smoke, return the ribs to the grill, bone side down. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until they are sizzling and lightly charred, 10 to 12 minutes, turning and basting once or twice with the sauce. Remove from the grill and let rest for about 5 minutes. Cut into individual ribs and serve warm with any remaining sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes