Focaccia Sandwich with Spring Greens
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 4-inch square)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 278
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 387mg
- Calcium: 186mg
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup very warm water (120° to 130°)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup (1 1/4-inch) julienne-cut green onions
- 1 tablespoon (1/4 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces provolone or Havarti cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 3 cups gourmet salad greens
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- To prepare focaccia, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until blended. With processor running, slowly add very warm water through food chute; process until dough leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball. Process an additional 30 seconds. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 to 5 times. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down; let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 13 x 9-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer dough to a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray; brush 1/2 teaspoon oil over dough. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Uncover dough. Make indentations in top of dough using the handle of a wooden spoon or your fingertips. Sprinkle 1/3 cup green onions, Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- To prepare sandwich, cut focaccia in half horizontally using a serrated knife; place bottom layer, cut side up, on a flat surface. Arrange provolone cheese and tomato slices over bottom layer; top with salad greens and 1/2 cup green onions. Combine balsamic vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad green mixture; top with remaining focaccia layer. Gently press sandwich together; cut into 6 equal portions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note