Focaccia with Caramelized Onions, Pear and Blue Cheese
More From Food & Wine
Total: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 large Bosc pear, cored an sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast and honey and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the flour and 1/4 cup of the oil; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour and the salt and knead until smooth. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic and let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the sugar, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Oil a 9-by-13 inch rimmed baking sheet. Transfer the dough to the sheet and press it down to fit. Dimple the dough all over with your fingers and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Let the dough rise until puffed, about 20 minutes.
- Scatter the onions over the dough. Arrange the pear over the onions and sprinkle with the blue cheese. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over the focaccia and bake for 20 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool. Serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This