- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons hot water
- Combine dry ingredients; stir well. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in water, mixing well.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll each ball into a very thin circle about 6 inches in diameter.
- Cook tortillas in an ungreased skillet over medium-high heat about 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Pat tortillas lightly with a spatula while browning the second side if they puff during cooking. Serve hot with butter, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note