My husband and I love this recipe and can eat a doubled recipe by ourselves. It is healthy and has a great flavor.
"There are as many versions of Florida caviar as there are cooks," says Jane. Hers uses Asian ingredients for an interesting twist.
Yield: Makes 5 cups
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tiger* or hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 (15.8-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups sliced celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Shredded cabbage
- Sliced green onions
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in peas and celery. Cover and chill 2 hours. Stir in cilantro. Spoon pea mixture over cabbage, and sprinkle with green onions.
- *Tiger sauce, a hot-pepper accompaniment made in New Orleans, is available in the condiment section at many supermarkets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note