Florentine Wedding Cakes
The melt-in-your-mouth classic, Mexican wedding cakes, takes on an Italian veil as Lynn Tremble, replaces the traditional walnuts with hazelnuts and adds a sprinkle of cocoa.
Yield: Makes 5 dozen
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 61
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 0.7g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 5.9g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 41mg
- Cholesterol: 8.3mg
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- About 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Dutch-process cocoa
- 1. Put nuts in a 9-inch cake or pie pan. Bake in a 350° oven until pale gold under skin, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour nuts into a towel and rub briskly with the cloth to remove as much skin as possible. Lift nuts from towel and finely chop. Wipe out pan.
- 2. Cut butter into chunks and put in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add 1/3 cup of the powdered sugar and the vanilla; beat on slow speed to incorporate, then beat on high speed until fluffy.
- 3. On low speed, mix in flour and salt, then beat until blended.
- 4. Stir in nuts.
- 5. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- 6. Bake in a 300° oven until cookies no longer feel soft when gently touched but are not browned, about 18 minutes. (If using one oven, alternate pan positions after 8 to 10 minutes.) Cool on pans about 5 minutes.
- 7. Place remaining powdered sugar in cake pan. Gently roll hot cookies, a few at a time, in sugar to coat well. Set cookies slightly apart on piece of waxed paper (about 20 in. long) until almost cool, then roll in sugar again. Return cookies to paper in a single layer. Shake cocoa through fine strainer over cookies. Let cookies cool.
- 8. Serve, or store airtight at once for up to 3 days. Freeze to store longer.
- Nutritional analysis per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Florentine Wedding Cakes Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This