Florentine Stuffed Onions
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour
- 4 medium-size sweet onions
- 1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Peel onions, and cut in half crosswise. Cook in a large Dutch oven in boiling salted water to cover 15 minutes or until almost tender. Cut a thin slice from bottom (rounded end) of each half, forming a base for onions to stand. Place onions in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Remove onion centers, leaving 1-inch-thick shells. Chop centers, reserving 1 cup chopped onion for the stuffing. Reserve remaining onion for another use, if desired.
- Sauté spinach, garlic, and 1 cup chopped onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat about 4 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Remove mixture from pan.
- Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour and next 3 ingredients until smooth. Stir in milk, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in spinach mixture. Spoon hot mixture evenly into onion halves.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese, and bake 15 more minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This