Have made this many times, and it's always good. Sometimes I use fresh herbs (like tonight because summer means fresh herbs in the garden!), sometimes fresh chopped spinach instead of frozen. I've also added sliced kalmata olives on top. Be careful that the potatoes don't burn--my stove is a little hot (and electric, doggone it), so I have to use more of a medium low than a medium high setting. Salad and bread--and you've got dinner. My husband and I usually each eat one third, then share the last third for lunch the next day.
Frozen hash browns are great to have on hand and pair well with the feta cheese and spinach. For a new twist next time, try a combination of broccoli and sharp cheddar or Swiss cheese.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 265
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 19.6g
- Carbohydrate: 31.3g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 800mg
- Calcium: 251mg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (16-ounce) carton egg substitute
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add potatoes; cook 9 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Pour egg mixture over onion mixture. Arrange bell pepper slices on top of frittata. Cook 7 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil 5 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Cut into 4 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch