Good gluten-free alternative...I've been making this recipe ever since I saw it published a couple years ago. But since then, I learned I was gluten-intolerant. This weekend was a dear friend's goodbye party and these have been her favorites since I started making them. She is also gluten-intolerant now...so I decided to try it GF. I ended up cheating a little and buying the Bob's Red Mill Shortbread Cookie Mix, and then did the topping as usual. They came out brilliantly.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 256
- Calories from fat: 57%
- Protein: 3.2g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 59mg
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg plus one egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tart dried apricots (we prefer Blenheim), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tart dried cherries, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream salted butter with 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk and beat to combine. Gradually add flour and mix well (dough will be very soft). Transfer to a floured 16- by 11-in. parchment paper. With a floured rolling pin, roll dough to same size as parchment. Trim any overhang, then transfer dough (on parchment) to a large rimmed baking pan. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven (leave oven on) and set aside.
- 2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together unsalted butter, remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, honey, and cream. Cook mixture, stirring frequently, until it registers 250° on a candy thermometer. Remove pan from heat and stir in almonds, raisins, apricots, and cherries.
- 3. Using a spatula, gently spread warm topping over shortbread. Bake until topping is caramelized and almonds are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; while still warm, cut into 2-in. squares. Cool completely.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note