- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups half-and-half, divided
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form; gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in almond extract.
- Heat 3 cups half-and-half in a large skillet to simmering. Shape 8 egg white islands using two spoons; scoop beaten whites onto one spoon and gently place other spoon on top to shape each island. Gently slide the islands into simmering half-and-half. Cook each island two minutes on each side or until slightly firm. Remove islands, and drain on paper towels. Set aside. Reserve half-and- half.
- Place yolks in top of a double boiler; beat until thick and lemon colored. Add 2/3 cup sugar and salt, beating well; place over boiling water. Add remaining half-and-half to reserved half-and- half; stir into egg yolk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Let mixture cool slightly, and stir in vanilla. Chill.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar evenly in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; place over medium heat. Caramelize sugar, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until light brown and melted. Remove from heat, and add water. Return to heat; cook slowly, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Spoon chilled custard into a serving bowl. Mound islands on top of custard; drizzle caramelized mixture over islands. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note