- 1 pound pizza dough, purchased or homemade, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 3 oz.)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 cup chopped vegetables, such as cooked broccoli, pitted black olives, drained oil-packed dried tomatoes, and/or drained marinated artichoke hearts
- 3/4 cup chopped cooked ham or pepperoni (about 3 oz.)
- Olive oil
- calories 555
- caloriesfromfat 42 %
- protein 26 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 8.6 g
- carbohydrate 58 g
- fiber 2.8 g
- sodium 2042 mg
- cholesterol 53 mg
How to Make It
On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into four equal pieces. Roll or stretch each piece into a 6-inch round. If dough shrinks back, let rest about 5 minutes, then roll again.
In a bowl, mix ricotta, mozzarella, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Place about 3 tablespoons ricotta mixture and about 2 tablespoons pasta sauce in the center of each round of dough. Top with about 1/4 cup vegetables and about 3 tablespoons meat.
Fold rounds in half over filling, making a half-moon shape. Press edges of dough with the tines of a fork to seal. Brush tops of calzones lightly with olive oil. Place slightly apart on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
Bake in a 450° oven until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to plates.