- 4 center-cut bacon slices
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Belgian-style brown ale (such as Petrus Oud Bruin or Leffe)
- 4 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles (about 3 cups pasta)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- calories 403
- fat 9.6 g
- satfat 3.3 g
- monofat 3.2 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 41 g
- carbohydrate 36 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 135 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 632 mg
- calcium 56 mg
How to Make It
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook 5 minutes or until crisp. Place bacon on paper towels; let stand 3 minutes. Chop.
Sprinkle beef with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add oil to pan. Add half of beef; cook 6 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Place browned beef on a plate. Repeat with remaining beef.
Add onion, thyme, and garlic to pan; cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Sprinkle flour evenly over onion mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in stock, sugar, vinegar, bay leaves, beer, and bacon; bring to a simmer. Add beef, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaves.
Place about 2/3 cup noodles in each of 6 bowls. Top each serving with about 1 cup stew; sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon parsley.
Petrus Oud Bruin ABV 5%
Aged for two years in oak barrels, this Flemish-style oud bruin (old brown ale) walks the line between sweet and sour, and tastes like a combination of brown ale and burgundy wine. Add to that its hints of plum, black cherry, and brown sugar, and it's the perfect base--and accompaniment--for this hearty beef stew.