My husband and I absolutely loved this recipe! I followed the instructions exactly, and the results were restraurant-quality. I used my pizza stone to cook it, and I think that made it that much better. Also, a mandolin slicer was most useful in getting those pretty asparagus slices. It really is worth making the crust yourself. I think using a pre-made crust would significantly diminish the quality of this dish. I will gladly make this again.
Flatbread with Pancetta, Mozzarella, and Asparagus
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 147
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.4g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 339mg
- Calcium: 84mg
- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 6.7 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 cup very thinly vertically sliced asparagus
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Combine warm water and yeast in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 5.6 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt to yeast mixture; stir until blended. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining 1.1 ounces (about 1/4 cup) flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (the dough will feel sticky).
- 2. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If an indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- 3. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add thyme, pancetta, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until pancetta is crisp. Stir in pepper.
- 4. Preheat oven to 475°.
- 5. Place a baking sheet in oven for 15 minutes to preheat. Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Stretch dough into a 10-inch circle on a floured surface. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cornmeal on preheated baking sheet, and place dough on sheet. Spread pancetta mixture evenly over dough. Arrange thinly vertically sliced asparagus over pancetta mixture; sprinkle evenly with shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese. Bake flatbread at 475° for 10 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Cut flatbread into 8 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This