Love this recipe as is, but also make the dough with different toppings to great success. I made it per recipe first time, but now use my breadmaker's pizza dough setting for the dough. I also spray the outer edge of the dough w/olive oil and sprinkle dash of kosher salt to make crust extra tasty. This is one of my go-to recipes.
Flatbread with Pancetta and Asparagus
Sea salt adds a nice crunch to the topping, but kosher salt works, too. Use very thin asparagus spears, or cut thicker ones in half lengthwise. For a little extra bite, add a sprinkling of black pepper before serving. Enjoy any leftover bread with soup and salad.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 132
- Calories from fat: 31
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 16.2g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 373mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- To prepare dough, combine warm water and yeast in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt to yeast mixture; stir until blended. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (the dough will feel sticky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If an indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- While dough rises, prepare topping. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add thyme, pancetta, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until pancetta is crisp. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll the dough into a 10-inch circle on a floured surface. Place dough on a baking sheet. Spread topping evenly over dough. Arrange the asparagus over topping; sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake at 475° for 10 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This