Flatbread with Asparagus, Fontina, and Pickled Onions
Make the roasted garlic, pickled onions, and blanched asparagus ahead, then top and bake the pizza before serving. If you don't have a pizza stone, preheat a rimless baking sheet while you prepare the pizza. This will help form a crisp crust similar to that achieved on a pizza stone. Refrigerate leftover pickled onions in an airtight nonreactive container for up to two weeks. Use them to add tang to salads or sandwiches.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 283
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Carbohydrate: 43.2g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 425mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 1 large whole garlic head
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups vertically sliced red onion
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) slices asparagus (about 8 ounces)
- 1 recipe Flatbread Dough
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Coat garlic with cooking spray. Wrap garlic head in foil. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Combine garlic pulp and olive oil in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.
- 3. Preheat oven to 500°.
- 4. Place a pizza stone on bottom oven rack. Preheat pizza stone 30 minutes.
- 5. Combine onion, vinegar, and 2 teaspoons salt in a bowl; let stand 20 minutes. Remove 1 cup onion mixture with a slotted spoon; set aside. Reserve remaining onion mixture for another use.
- 6. Cook asparagus in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold running water; drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
- 7. Divide dough in half. Working with 1 half at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll dough into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a baking sheet (or jelly-roll pan) sprinkled with 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Spread half of garlic mixture over dough. Top with 1/2 cup onion mixture and 3/4 cup asparagus, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with 6 tablespoons cheese. Slide topped dough onto preheated pizza stone, using a spatula as a guide. Bake at 500° for 8 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is golden brown. Remove from pizza stone using pizza peel. Place pizza on a cutting board; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cut into 6 wedges. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, 1 tablespoon cornmeal, garlic mixture, 1/2 cup onion mixture, 3/4 cup asparagus, 6 tablespoons cheese, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note