- 1/2 cup honey
- 12 ounces spring onions, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 heads Belgian endive (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, halved crosswise
- 6 cups arugula leaves (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- calories 484
- fat 19.9 g
- satfat 4.3 g
- monofat 12.5 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 27.4 g
- carbohydrate 49.5 g
- fiber 5.3 g
- cholesterol 37 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 505 mg
- calcium 120 mg
How to Make It
Place honey in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook 2 minutes or until heated. Add onions to pan; stir to combine. Stir in vinegar; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until onions are tender. Cook, uncovered, 20 minutes or until syrupy.
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat an ovenproof grill pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, swirling to coat. Sprinkle endive evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add endive, cut sides down, to pan. Cook 1 minute or until lightly browned. Turn endive; place pan in oven. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until endive is tender. Remove endive from oven; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean.
Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 tablespoon oregano, and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle beef evenly with oregano mixture. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting across the grain into thin slices.
Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oregano, arugula, oil, and juice in a medium bowl; toss gently. Serve steak with endive and arugula salad; top steak with onion mixture.