Flaming Mangoes with Cardamom Syrup
Notes: Chef Derek Liburd also uses this cardamom syrup on fried bananas. Flame the mangoes tableside for maximum effect. To make this dessert easier to serve, shape and freeze scoops of frozen yogurt ahead.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 6.6%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 103mg
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- 8 cardamom pods, hulled
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes (about 1 1/2 lb. total)
- 1/4 cup rum
- 3 cups vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt or ice cream, in scoops
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, crush cardamom seed and lemon peel with back of a spoon. Add sugar and 1 cup water. Stir over high heat until sugar dissolves. Boil gently, uncovered, until syrup is reduced to 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut peel off mangoes, discard pits, and cut fruit into 1/2-inch-wide slices, about 3 inches long. If making ahead, cover fruit and syrup and set aside up to 4 hours.
- 3. Add mangoes to hot syrup and cook over high heat, turning once, until fruit is hot, 2 to 3 minutes. In a small pan (about 1-qt. size), warm rum until hot. Ignite rum and add to mangoes (not beneath a vent, fan, or flammables). Spoon mangoes and flaming syrup over frozen yogurt in bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note