Flaming Mangoes with Cardamom Syrup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 6.6%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 103mg
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- 8 cardamom pods, hulled
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes (about 1 1/2 lb. total)
- 1/4 cup rum
- 3 cups vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt or ice cream, in scoops
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, crush cardamom seed and lemon peel with back of a spoon. Add sugar and 1 cup water. Stir over high heat until sugar dissolves. Boil gently, uncovered, until syrup is reduced to 1/2 cup, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut peel off mangoes, discard pits, and cut fruit into 1/2-inch-wide slices, about 3 inches long. If making ahead, cover fruit and syrup and set aside up to 4 hours.
- 3. Add mangoes to hot syrup and cook over high heat, turning once, until fruit is hot, 2 to 3 minutes. In a small pan (about 1-qt. size), warm rum until hot. Ignite rum and add to mangoes (not beneath a vent, fan, or flammables). Spoon mangoes and flaming syrup over frozen yogurt in bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts