These turned out fantastic. Light, moist and flaky. For those that had flat biscuits, you may have old baking powder as mine turned out just like the picture. I did measure my flour and it was perfect at 9 oz. which probably helped as it takes less than 2 cups. Not sure what happened with the person that had sticky dough. My dough was perfectly moist to roll out when following directions exactly
Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr, Jan Gautro, Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 121
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 18.4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 198mg
- Calcium: 63mg
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- 4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Re-roll dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 3/4-inch biscuit cutter to form 14 dough rounds. Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks. Serve warm.
- Spiced Pumpkin Biscuits: Add 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice to flour mixture. Decrease buttermilk to 1/3 cup; add 3/4 cup canned pumpkin to buttermilk mixture. Bake at 400° for 14 minutes. Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 biscuit).
- CALORIES 122 (32% from fat); FAT 4.3g (sat 2.6g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 2.3g; CARB 18.9g; FIBER 0.9g; CHOL 11mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 192mg; CALC 59mg
- Parmesan-Pepper Biscuits: Add 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to flour mixture. Decrease butter to 1/4 cup. Add 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese to buttermilk mixture. Bake at 400° for 13 minutes. Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 biscuit).
- CALORIES 131 (32% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 2.9g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 4.2g; CARB 18.5g; FIBER 0.5g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 0.9mg; SODIUM 239mg; CALC 98mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note