More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 226
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 2.8g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 187mg
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter or margarine, cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons cold solid vegetable shortening, cut into chunks
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour and salt. Add butter and shortening. With a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in fats or rub in with your fingers until mixture forms pea-size pieces.
- 2. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons cold water over mixture and stir with a fork just until evenly moistened. Gently squeeze about 1/4 cup of the dough into a ball; if it won't hold together, crumble lump back into bowl and sprinkle with more water, 1 tablespoon at a time; stir with a fork until evenly moistened.
- 3. With lightly floured hands, gently squeeze dough into a ball. Divide in half and pat each half into a 4-inch-wide round. Lay 1 round on a lightly floured surface. With a flour-coated rolling pin, roll firmly but gently in short strokes from center of dough outward to form a 12-inch-wide round. If edges split, push back toward center to make relatively smooth. Occasionally lift dough and dust underneath with flour to prevent sticking.
- 4. Fold dough round in half, lift gently without stretching, and lay folded edge across the middle of a 9-inch pie pan. Unfold pastry and ease into pan without stretching. Trim dough 3/4 inch beyond pan rim.
- 5. Fill as directed for Old Glory cherry-blueberry pie.
- 6. On lightly floured board, roll remaining pastry dough into a 10-inch round. With a pastry wheel or a sharp knife, cut 6 strips (3/4 in. wide) across center of round. Place filled crust in front of you with blueberry quadrant at the upper left. Lay the longest pastry strip across pie with 1 edge adjacent to bottom of blueberry quadrant, then evenly space remaining strips across pie parallel to first strip. Cut away portions of strips over blueberry filling. With a 1 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter, cut 6 stars from remaining pastry; arrange over blueberry filling.
- 7. Fold edge of bottom crust over ends of strips, flush with pan rim. Flute decoratively.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note