Fizz Kale Salad with Roasted Garlic-Bacon Dressing and Beets
Fizz kale boasts delicate cabbage flavor and hearty crunch. If Fizz is unavailable, the salad will still be delicious using all Lacinato.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- Calories: 149
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 189mg
- Calcium: 140mg
- 1 whole garlic head
- 6 ounces baby yellow beets
- 6 ounces baby red beets
- 6 ounces baby striped beets (such as Chioggia)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups Fizz kale, torn
- 4 cups Lacinato kale, torn
- 1 thick applewood-smoked bacon slice, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate cloves). Wrap head in foil. Arrange yellow beets on a large sheet of foil; wrap tightly. Repeat procedure with red and striped beets. Bake garlic and beets at 350° for 1 hour or until beets are tender; cool 10 minutes. Separate garlic cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Combine garlic pulp, oil, and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place kale in a large bowl.
- 3. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; add bacon. Cook 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high. Stir in garlic mixture; remove from heat. Pour hot bacon mixture over kale, tossing to coat.
- 4. Peel beets; discard skins. Cut beets in half. Arrange over kale mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note