Five-Spice Tofu with Barley and Kale
Photo: John Kernick
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 427
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 18g
- 1 cup pearled barley, rinsed
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained on paper towels for 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or coconut oil (increases saturated fat to 7 grams)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bottom 6 inches only, peeled and minced
- 4 1/2 cups Tuscan kale, shredded, stemmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In a saucepan, cover the barley with 2 cups of water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the barley is just tender, about 25 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the grapeseed oil with the sesame oil until shimmering. Add the tofu and five-spice powder and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 7 minutes. Add the scallions and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and transfer the tofu to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil to the skillet. Add the lemongrass and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the barley and cook for 1 minute. Add the horseradish, tamari and vinegar and cook, stirring, until the pan is nearly dry, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the barley and kale to a platter. Top with the tofu, toasted coconut, sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note