Five-Spice Toasted-Coconut Cake Roll with Tropical Fruit Compote
Angel food cake batter makes a delicate base for a sorbet or ice cream cake roll. This is a great make-ahead dessert because you can freeze the rolled cake for up to 2 days before serving it with the compote. To soften the sorbet for spreading on the cake, let it stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 245
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 51.6g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 80mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/3 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 pint mandarin orange with passionfruit sorbet (such as Edy's Whole Fruit Sorbet), softened
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled ripe mango
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled kiwifruit
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Remaining ingredient:
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare cake, line the bottom of a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with wax paper.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, and five-spice powder, stirring with a whisk.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt, and beat until soft peaks form. Add 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in juice and extracts.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat procedure with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Place a clean dish towel over a large wire rack; dust with powdered sugar. Loosen cake from sides of pan; turn out onto towel. Carefully peel off wax paper; cool for 3 minutes. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Place, seam side down, on wire rack; cool cake completely. Unroll cake, and remove towel. Spread sorbet over cake, leaving a 1/2-inch border around outside edges. Reroll cake. Wrap cake in plastic wrap; freeze 1 hour or until firm.
- To prepare compote, combine mango, pineapple, kiwi, brown sugar, and rum, and let stand 20 minutes. Cut cake into 16 slices, and place 2 slices on each of 8 plates. Spoon about 1/4 cup compote over each serving, and sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Five-Spice Toasted-Coconut Cake Roll with Tropical Fruit Compote Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Freezable, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Caribbean
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer, Easter, Mother's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light