I've made this dish about five times now. So incredibly flavorful, yet easy to make and fairly light. The chicken is incredibly tender. The accompanying dressing is authentic and tasty. My only gripe (not much of one) is that the dressing is so intense that it drowns out the fabulous flavor of the chicken. I think the chicken would be great in other dishes, too, where its flavor could be on greater display. Nonetheless, this dish all put together is fantastic. I used Brown Rice Vermicelli to make it healthier, but otherwise the recipe really is pretty perfect as is.
Five-Spice Chicken Noodle Salad
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
Like a cross between a noodle bowl and a salad, this dish is low in fat and has a kick.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 472
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Carbohydrate: 58g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 2103mg
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 boned, skinned chicken breast halves
- 1 package (6 oz.) rice vermicelli
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- Chile Lime Dressing
- 1. Heat grill to medium (350° to 450°).
- 2. Mix soy sauce, oil, five-spice powder, and sugar in a shallow dish. Turn chicken in marinade and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Heat a large pot of water to boiling.
- 4. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Oil cooking grate, using tongs and a wad of oiled paper towels. Grill chicken, covered, turning once, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
- 5. Add vermicelli to pot of water and turn off heat. Let stand until soft, 5 to 10 minutes; drain.
- 6. Divide noodles among dinner bowls. Thickly slice chicken, set on noodles, and top with carrots, herbs, and peanuts. Serve with dressing.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This