- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons five-spice powder
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup ice
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Cooking spray
- calories 241
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- fat 4.7 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- monofat 1.5 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 39.8 g
- carbohydrate 7.4 g
- fiber 0.3 g
- cholesterol 99 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 909 mg
- calcium 35 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Stir in 2 tablespoons five-spice powder. Pour salt mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. Rinse chicken with cold water. Add chicken and ice to bag; seal. Refrigerate 2 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove chicken from bag; discard brine. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
Combine hoisin sauce and next 5 ingredients (hoisin sauce through 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder).
Prepare the grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium and leaving one side with no heat.
Place chicken, skin side down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray over medium heat side. Close lid; grill chicken 8 minutes on each side, brushing occasionally with hoisin sauce mixture. Place chicken, skin side up, on unheated side; brush with hoisin sauce mixture. Grill an additional 5 minutes or until done. Discard skin; serve immediately.