The only change I made to the recipe was I did not have green onions, so I used a half of a NW sweet onion and sliced it thinly and instead of spicy smoked paprika I used plain smokey paprika. This recipe had plenty of heat for us.Would make this often, easy and so flavorful. The Peppadew peppers were the secret to the flavor and sauce. Found these at whole foods.Husband rated this a 10, he loved it.
A variety of peppers--fresh, jarred, and ground--makes this dish dance with flavor, though not with heat (it's only mildly spicy). All of the peppers can be found at well-stocked grocery stores: Find piquillos with jarred peppers, Peppadews at the olive bar, and smoked paprika in the spice aisle.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 354
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 469mg
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- 1 1/4 pounds flank steak, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced, plus sliced dark green ends of 2 more, for topping
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 jar (12 oz.) piquillo peppers, drained, rinsed, and sliced
- 6 to 8 Peppadew peppers (about 2 oz.), chopped, plus 6 tbsp. Peppadew pickling liquid
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika (pimentón picante)
- 1. Heat a large cast-iron frying pan over medium-high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp. oil to skillet, then add meat and brown in 2 batches, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- 2. Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil to frying pan, then add 3 thinly sliced green onions, garlic, and bell peppers; cook until lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Add piquillos, Peppadews, Peppadew liquid, sherry vinegar, and smoked paprika and cook until liquid thickens, 4 minutes. Return meat to pan and cook 1 minute more. Divide among 4 plates and top with sliced green onion ends.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note