Photo/Styling: Aran Goyoaga
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Coastal Living
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 white onions, halved and sliced
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups veal or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread, sliced and toasted
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1. Melt butter in a large (6-quart) soup pot over medium-high heat; add onions and shallots. Cook, stirring frequently, 30 to 35 minutes or until onions are softened and a deep golden brown.
- 2. Tie thyme in a bundle with kitchen string, and add to onion mixture. Stir in caraway seeds, chicken stock, and veal broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Remove thyme; stir in salt and pepper.
- 3. Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls. Top with French bread slices, and sprinkle with cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and bubbles. Sprinkle each serving evenly with green onions and chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note