Photo/Styling: Aran Goyoaga
More From Coastal Living
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 white onions, halved and sliced
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups veal or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread, sliced and toasted
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1. Melt butter in a large (6-quart) soup pot over medium-high heat; add onions and shallots. Cook, stirring frequently, 30 to 35 minutes or until onions are softened and a deep golden brown.
- 2. Tie thyme in a bundle with kitchen string, and add to onion mixture. Stir in caraway seeds, chicken stock, and veal broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Remove thyme; stir in salt and pepper.
- 3. Ladle soup into oven-safe bowls. Top with French bread slices, and sprinkle with cheese. Place bowls on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and bubbles. Sprinkle each serving evenly with green onions and chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews