Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/4 cup(s) (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green onions, chopped
- 1 leek (white and pale green parts only), chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground clove
- 4 cup(s) canned beef broth
- 2/3 cup(s) Sherry
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon(s) minced garlic
- 4 slices french bread
- 1/2 cup(s) grated parmesan cheese
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallots, all onions and leek; saute until golden, about 15 min. Add 1 tbsp garlic and cloves; saute 1 min. Sir in broth and Sherry. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30 min. (can be prepared a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
- Preheat broiler. Combine 2 tbsp. melted butter and 1 tsp. garlic in small bowl. Place bread on baking sheet and brush with half of garlic butter. Broil bread until half of garlic butter. Broil bread until lightly toasted, about 2 min. Turn bread over and brush with remaining garlic butter. Broil until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle bread with parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 500. Ladle soup into bowls. Top each bowl with 1 crouton. Place 1 slice of swiss cheese and 1 slice of mozzarella cheese atop each crouton. Bake until soup is hot and cheese melts, about 10 min.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwatson and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Five-Onion Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews