I started making this for all cookouts b/c it is easy and delicious. We have vegetarians in the family, so sometimes we have to make without the bacon, which is not nearly as good, but still a good recipe.
This appealing five-bean dish packs a protein punch and is the perfect side for a summer cookout. Don't count on leftovers because it will be a huge hit with your guests.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 8 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (19.75-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Cook chopped bacon slices in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add diced onion, and sauté in hot drippings 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine bacon, onion, pork and beans, black beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, lima beans, ketchup, brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, and cider vinegar in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 1 hour; uncover and bake 30 more minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This