Fish Stacks with Mexican Crema
Notes: Cotija cheese and Mexican crema are available in many supermarkets and in Latino grocery stores.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 747
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Protein: 57g
- Fat: 38g
- Saturated fat: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sodium: 1228mg
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds firm, white-fleshed fish, such as halibut, rinsed, dried, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup chopped firm-ripe tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 12 corn tortillas (6 in.)
- 2 cups crumbled cotija or feta cheese (8 oz.)
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (8 oz.), pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onion in olive oil until limp, about 1 minute. Add fish and gently stir until opaque on outside, 2 to 3 minutes. Add lemon juice and 2 tablespoons oregano (2 teaspoons if using dried) and cook, gently stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and fish is opaque but still moist-looking in center (cut to test), 1 to 2 minutes. Gently stir in tomatoes and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Lay 4 tortillas flat on a 14- by 17-inch nonstick baking sheet (if you don't have a nonstick sheet, coat a regular one lightly with cooking oil spray). Divide half the fish mixture among tortillas and spread level to within 1/2 inch of edges. Sprinkle a third of the cheese evenly over fish. Lay another tortilla on each stack and top equally with remaining fish mixture and another third of the cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- 3. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until cheese on top is beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix crema with remaining tablespoon oregano (1 teaspoon if using dried). With a wide spatula, transfer fish stacks to plates. Top equally with avocado slices and crema mixture. Garnish with lemon wedges to squeeze over stacks to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes