Fish in Paper Parcels with Leeks, Fennel, Chives, and Vanilla
The delicate flavor of chives works well with fish, and we loved the aroma and subtle flavor imparted by the vanilla beans. This is an excellent dish for entertaining; you can prepare it in advance, store it in the refrigerator, then pop it in the oven. Substitute fillets of salmon, bass, haddock, or mullet for the red snapper.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 2.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 38.1g
- Carbohydrate: 23.2g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 610mg
- Calcium: 153mg
- 6 (6-ounce) red snapper or other firm whitefish fillets
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 large)
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 2 small bulbs)
- 2 1/2 cups (2-inch) julienne-cut carrot
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 (6-inch) vanilla beans, split lengthwise and halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add leek, fennel, and carrot; sauté 4 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender. Add broth and soy sauce; cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in 3 tablespoons chives and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Cut 6 (14-inch) squares of parchment paper. Fold each square in half; open each. Place 1 cup vegetable mixture near fold of each paper. Place 1 fish fillet on top of vegetable mixture; top with 1/2 teaspoon chives, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, and 2 pieces vanilla bean. Fold paper; seal edges with narrow folds. Place packets on each of 2 baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned, rotating baking sheets after 9 minutes. Place on plates, and cut open. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note