- 1 (1 1/4-pound) skinless halibut or other firm white fish fillet
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Madras curry powder, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 3/4 cups chopped tomato (2 large)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 4 lemon wedges
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- calories 265
- fat 10.1 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 28.9 g
- carbohydrate 15 g
- fiber 3.3 g
- cholesterol 70 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 549 mg
- calcium 51 mg
How to Make It
Sprinkle fish with 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, 3/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add fish; cook 4 minutes or until deeply browned on bottom but undercooked on top (fish will finish cooking later in sauce). Remove fish from pan.
Add onion and bell pepper to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon curry powder, remaining 3/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, tomato, and lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 10 minutes or until tomato breaks down, stirring occasionally. Mash tomato with a wooden spoon.
Stir in coconut milk. Return fish along with accumulated juices to pan, browned side up. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Cut fish into 4 equal portions. Spoon sauce into individual, shallow bowls; top each with a piece of fish. Serve with lemon wedges and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.