- 1/2 pound salt pork, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh cod, haddock, or pollock fillets
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
How to Make It
Cook salt pork in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp; remove salt pork, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan. Set salt pork aside.
Sauté onion in hot drippings over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes, 4 cups water, and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
Arrange fillets over potatoes; cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork. Break fish into chunks. Add evaporated milk and next 3 ingredients; cook over medium heat just until thoroughly heated. Top each serving with reserved salt pork, parsley, and paprika. Serve with breadsticks or crackers.