- 12 to 14 dried figs
- 8 to 10 (1/2-inch) challah bread slices
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Rum Sauce (optional)
- Place figs in a heatproof bowl with boiling water to cover; let stand 20 minutes or until plump. Drain figs, and slice.
- Place bread and walnuts in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan; bake at 500° for 3 to 4 minutes or until toasted. Remove from oven, and set aside. Reduce heat to 350°.
- Heat milk, cream, and 3/4 cup sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. (Do not boil.)
- Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; slowly whisk in milk mixture.
- Layer half of bread and walnuts evenly in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish or 10-inch pieplate, slightly overlapping slices; layer half of figs evenly over bread. Pour half of milk mixture evenly over figs. Repeat procedure with remaining bread, figs, and milk mixture. Press lightly with a spatula. Sprinkle walnuts and remaining 1/4 cup sugar evenly over top.
- Cover loosely with foil, leaving corners uncovered to brown edges (if using a pieplate, loosely cover with foil, allowing edges to brown).
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes, or until set. Remove foil, and bake 15 more minutes. Serve pudding warm with Rum Sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts