- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (2.13 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 6 fresh figs, halved lengthwise
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or ovenproof stainless-steel skillet, and place in preheating oven to melt the butter and heat the skillet.
Meanwhile, split vanilla bean pod, and scrape seeds into a small bowl. (Reserve pod for another use.) Add milk, eggs, and salt, whisking until smooth. Place flour in a medium bowl; slowly add milk mixture to flour, whisking until smooth. Remove the hot skillet from the oven. Add the melted butter to the batter, and whisk to combine. Quickly place the figs, cut side up, in the skillet, and pour the batter over the figs. Bake until puffed and brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 4 wedges, and serve immediately.