These are amazing, but I'm confused where the lemon juice comes in. It's in the ingredient list, but the directions never mention to add it.
Fig and Cream Cheese Bars
With the honeyed flavor of dried figs, a sweet cream cheese layer, and a buttery, crumbly crust, these bars garnered our Test Kitchens' highest rating. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 125
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21.7g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 84mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups dried figs, stems removed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture firmly into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine figs, water, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes or until figs are tender and sugar dissolves. Cool slightly. Place fig mixture and juice in a blender; process until smooth. Gently spread fig mixture over prepared crust.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cheese, vanilla, and egg in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Pour over fig mixture; spread to edges. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note