- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled large, fresh shrimp
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in thin slices
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
How to Make It
Bring 6 cups water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse with cold water. Chill 30 minutes.
Peel shrimp, leaving tails on, and devein, if desired.
Toss together shrimp and next 3 ingredients.
Combine oil through ground pepper in a jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously. Pour 1/2 cup mixture over shrimp mixture, reserving remainder; toss gently. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Serve shrimp mixture on greens; top with cilantro sprig, if desired. Serve with reserved dressing.