This recipe is adapted from Santa Fe School of Cooking Cookbook (Gibbs Smith, $19.95). For maximum color and flavor, serve within 3 to 4 hours.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 pound green cabbage, shredded*
- 1/2 pound red cabbage, shredded*
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diagonally sliced
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, diagonally sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pepper sauce (liquid from hot peppers in vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir together lime juice and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture, tossing to coat. Let stand 30 minutes, tossing often. Drizzle evenly with olive oil, tossing to coat, just before serving.
- *1 (16-ounce) package coleslaw mix may be substituted for shredded green and red cabbage.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note