This is one of my many go to recipes for something quick (or throw everything in a crockpot if the chicken is already cooked and shredded, just add the fajita seasoning to the pot). You can alter it to suit your own family's preferences easily, more heat, less heat etc. If you can't find nacho cheese soup, you can use the monterey jack soup or even mexican cheese dip or the pepper jack velveeta. Just add milk/water/chicken stock to thin to your liking. I often use smoked chicken to add another dimension of flavor to this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (1.4-ounce) package fajita seasoning, divided
- 4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves, cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives (optional)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed nacho cheese soup
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- Breadsticks (optional)
- Combine flour and 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal and shake to coat.
- Cook chicken in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat, stirring often, 4 minutes or until browned. Reduce heat to medium-high; add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in remaining fajita seasoning, corn, next 5 ingredients, and, if desired, olives. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove lid, and stir in nacho cheese soup, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Garnish, if desired, and serve with breadsticks, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews