- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated fettuccini or other fresh pasta
- 1/4 pound broccoli florets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or tarragon (or a combination)
- Garnish: fontina or Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add wine, and reduce liquid by half, cooking about 8 minutes. Add cream and, if desired, nutmeg; simmer 2 minutes. Remove sauce from heat, and stir in cheese. Set aside.
Add 1 1/2 tablespoons salt to a large pot of water, and bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until al dente. Add broccoli and asparagus, and cook 2 minutes. Add sugar snap peas, and cook 1 minute or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup water.
Transfer to a separate skillet. Stir in tomato halves and fresh herbs, and gently toss pasta with sauce, adding reserved water as needed for moisture. Garnish, if desired.