- 8 ounces fettuccine, uncooked
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons light process cream cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Freshly ground pepper (optional)
- calories 298
- fat 7.2 g
- satfat 3.5 g
- protein 16.6 g
- carbohydrate 42.3 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 3.4 mg
- sodium 419 mg
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fiber 4.1 g
- calcium 227 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Set aside, and keep warm.
Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Remove scales from stalks with a vegetable peeler or knife, if desired. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces; place in a microwave-safe dish. Add 1/4 cup water and cover. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes; drain.
Melt margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cream cheese; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Combine asparagus, cheese sauce, pasta, and beans in a large bowl; toss well. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, if desired.