This was good, though I agree it would have been bland without a couple of changes and additions. First, I doubled the sauce, and instead of water I used skim milk. I minced the garlic in the food processor before adding the cashews, and the garlic then steeped in the liquid, which did thicken nicely (althogh the milk scorched a bit). I used 6 oz. fresh fettuccine and added 2 oz. pancetta and 8 oz. sliced button mushrooms sauteed in the drippings. I served this with a green salad. It was interesting to try something different, though a bit expensive as cashews are not cheap; and although this scores more mufa's than the traditional version the latter is only an occasional treat anyway, so I'll probably go back to that next time.
Fettuccine with Cashew Cream
Delicious, easy, and fast and much better for you than a creamy sauce like Alfredo. Cashew cream (a mixture of water and cashew nut butter) replaces the traditional heavy cream in this fettuccine recipe, with no loss of richness and an improved fat profile. In a typical fettuccine Alfredo, 60 percent of the fat is saturated; less than a quarter of the fat in the cashew cream is saturated.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 378
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 14.7g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 388mg
- Calcium: 128mg
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Cooking spray
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place cashews in a food processor; process until smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping sides of bowl once. With processor on, add water; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once.
- Place cashew cream in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally with a whisk. Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute or until cream is thick.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in cashew cream, pasta, cheese, pepper, and salt; cook until thoroughly heated.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note