I made this the first time exactly as written and my family thought it was very good but too soupy. So the second time I made it I added more fettucine, not quite 16 ounces. This worked fine although I did have to stir the fettucine constantly to make sure it did not stick to the pan when cooking in the broth/milk mixture.
Fettuccine Alfredo with Peas and Prosciutto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 619
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 84g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Sodium: 588mg
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- 3 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 3/4 pound dried fettuccine
- 1 1/2 cups (10-oz. package) frozen petite peas
- 1 ounce thin-sliced prosciutto
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine broth, milk, and fettuccine (break fettuccine if necessary to fit into pan); cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, stirring often to separate noodles, for 5 minutes. Add peas and stir occasionally until pasta is tender to bite, 2 to 4 minutes longer.
- 2. Meanwhile, separate prosciutto slices and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add to pasta mixture and stir until it boils and thickens. Add sour cream, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste; stir until well blended and heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in prosciutto. Spoon onto plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note