This is delicious. Easier to put together and creamier than CL's Fettuccine Alfredo with Bacon that I have been making. I added 1/2 cup peas cooked in the boiling pasta water and 2 strips of bacon cooked crispy and chopped instead of the extra Parmesan cheese on top that this recipe calls for. Equals about the same calorie count. Be sure to save some of the pasta water to thin the sauce if needed. Served with CL's Asparagus with Tomato and Feta in the March 2014 issue. Makes a very satisfying meal.
Holy calcium! Heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, and butter create the regular calorie and fat-filled alfredo sauce. Here, we used olive oil instead of butter, nixed the cream in favor of a thickened milk-based sauce that uses flour and cream cheese to thicken it, leaving plenty of room for a cup of the good stuff—Parmigianno-Reggiano cheese.
We’ve revisited this recipe more than once and made subtle changes to fit into the current eating philosophy and this one always makes the transition smoothly. It’s a solid…and delicious recipe.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 21.3g
- Carbohydrate: 48.9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 822mg
- Calcium: 451mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 5 ounces fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups), divided
- 2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (8 ounces uncooked pasta)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- 1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and chopped parsley. Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note