Feta and Spinach Calzones
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 11 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 17.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 487mg
- Calcium: 126mg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 3.9 ounces white rice flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 3.4 ounces brown rice flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 2.1 ounces tapioca flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1.8 ounces flaxseed meal (about 1/2 cup)
- 1.3 ounces potato starch (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound chopped baby spinach
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
- 1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in 3/4 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flours, flaxseed meal, and potato starch into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, flaxseed meal, potato starch, xanthan gum, and salt in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Add yeast mixture, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 2 eggs; beat at medium speed 1 minute or until blended.
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Coat dough balls with cooking spray; place on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.
- 4. Combine 1/2 cup boiling water and tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 10 minutes or until soft. Drain and chop.
- 5. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil; swirl. Add onion and garlic; cook until onions is golden brown, stirring often. Add tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Place onion mixture in a bowl.
- 6. Add spinach to Dutch oven, stirring until spinach wilts. Place spinach in a colander, pressing until barely moist. Add spinach, cheeses, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to onion mixture, stirring to combine. Divide mixture into 8 equal mounds.
- 7. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 8. Working with 1 portion at a time, place dough on a floured surface. Pat into a 6-inch circle. Spoon 1/4 cup spinach mixture onto dough circle. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and filling. Place calzones on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Combine 1 tablespoon water and 1 egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until frothy. Brush egg mixture over calzones. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note