Festive Good Luck Cornbread Skillet
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped collard or turnip greens, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup Martha White Self-Rising White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
- 2. Making the filling: Cut the sausage in half lengthwise; cut cross- wise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine the sausage, onion, and garlic in a 12-inch cast iron skillet; cook over medium-high heat until the sausage is browned and the onion is softened, stirring occasionally. Add the black-eyed peas, broth, greens, and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- 3. Make the topping: Combine the topping ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until blended. Pour the batter just around the edge of the sausage mixture in the skillet. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 4. Serve with desired garnishes.
Optional garnishes: Sour cream, pickeled jalapeño chile slices, and/or fresh parsley or cilantro leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes