In reading the reviews I was not going to make this soup but then decided I could make this good and just had to try. I made a few changes and the soup came out really good and tasty. I used 2 fennel bulbs, 1 onion, 4 gloves of garlic, 1 can of Low Na+ Chicken broth and added water to make the 2 1/2 cups, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, I just chopped up some whole almonds, omitted the mint, sprinkled on dried lemon peel, and used the regular shredded parmesan cheese. I also peppered the fennel, onion and garlic mixture. I did let the mixture boil for a bit to bring in the flavors and tenderize the fennel just a bit more then took off the heat and covered for a few minutes. I have a large blender so I just put the whole thing in the blender and blended at once instead of the 2 batches. I sprinkled on the almonds, dried lemon peel and shredded parmesan to taste....
Fennel Soup with Almond-Mint Topping
More From Cooking Light
Total: 20 Minutes
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 549mg
- Calcium: 205mg
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced fennel bulb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons small fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind strips
- 1 ounce vegetarian Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- 1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add fennel, onion, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 6 minutes or until crisp-tender (do not brown), stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 1/2 cups water, vinegar, and beans. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Place half of mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture.
- 3. Combine almonds, mint, rind, and cheese. Divide soup among 4 bowls; top with almond mixture. Drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This