- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced fennel bulb
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons small fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind strips
- 1 ounce vegetarian Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (about 1/4 cup)
- calories 237
- fat 13.7 g
- satfat 2.5 g
- monofat 8.7 g
- polyfat 2 g
- protein 10 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 7 g
- cholesterol 5 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 549 mg
- calcium 205 mg
How to Make It
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add fennel, onion, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 6 minutes or until crisp-tender (do not brown), stirring occasionally.
Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 1/2 cups water, vinegar, and beans. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Place half of mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mixture.
Combine almonds, mint, rind, and cheese. Divide soup among 4 bowls; top with almond mixture. Drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.