Fennel and Greens
Notes: Linda Wisner of Portland, Oregon especially likes to use Lollo Rosso lettuce for this salad, but any red-leaf lettuce is attractive. Up to 1 day ahead, rinse lettuce and arugula; wrap in towels, then in plastic bags, and chill. Up to 2 hours ahead, prepare salad through step 2; cover and chill. Mix just before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 147
- Calories from fat: 86%
- Protein: 1.8g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 5.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 43mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 head fennel (4 to 5 in. wide)
- 9 cups bite-size pieces rinsed and crisped red-leaf lettuce leaves (see notes)
- 6 cups lightly packed rinsed and crisped arugula (see notes)
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a wide bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, and mustard.
- 2. Trim stalks from fennel. Rinse feathery green leaves and chop enough to measure 1/4 cup; discard remaining leaves and stalks. Trim and discard root end, any bruised areas, and coarse fibers from fennel head; rinse head, thinly slice, and mix with dressing in bowl. Add chopped fennel greens, lettuce, and arugula to bowl.
- 3. Lift with salad fork and spoon to mix with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This