Fennel and Greens
Notes: Linda Wisner of Portland, Oregon especially likes to use Lollo Rosso lettuce for this salad, but any red-leaf lettuce is attractive. Up to 1 day ahead, rinse lettuce and arugula; wrap in towels, then in plastic bags, and chill. Up to 2 hours ahead, prepare salad through step 2; cover and chill. Mix just before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 147
- Calories from fat: 86%
- Protein: 1.8g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 5.4g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 43mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 head fennel (4 to 5 in. wide)
- 9 cups bite-size pieces rinsed and crisped red-leaf lettuce leaves (see notes)
- 6 cups lightly packed rinsed and crisped arugula (see notes)
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a wide bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, and mustard.
- 2. Trim stalks from fennel. Rinse feathery green leaves and chop enough to measure 1/4 cup; discard remaining leaves and stalks. Trim and discard root end, any bruised areas, and coarse fibers from fennel head; rinse head, thinly slice, and mix with dressing in bowl. Add chopped fennel greens, lettuce, and arugula to bowl.
- 3. Lift with salad fork and spoon to mix with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note